Access internet with privacy using best VPN for Tails OS. Use Tails VPN to add an additional layer of online security to your Tail OS and browse safely.
Tails is an operating system that is used by people who are more focused toward keeping online privacy. But in some cases, Tails can’t shield your online activity completely from ISP and that’s why using a VPN with Tails becomes necessary.
While keeping in mind that users can get maximum privacy benefits while using Tails, we are sharing VPNs for Tails. It is highly recommended to use VPN on Tails to keep your internet activity hidden from cyber spies.
Why Use VPN For Tails?
There are many reasons for using Tails VPN and they are given below:
- Using VPN with Tails provides data encryption even after leaving the Tor network.
- Keep your IP address hidden from cyber spies.
- Stop malicious websites from accessing your personal information on Tails browser.
- Unblock region-restricted content by using a combination of VPN and Tails.
- Speed up the slow Tor connection of Tails by using a premium VPN service.
So using Tails with VPN can enhance online security to the next level. It keeps you one step ahead in terms of web privacy and lets you browse random websites without leaving any traces.
5 Best Tails VPN In 2023
Here is the list of best VPNs for Tails that can be used to maintain browsing privacy:
- NordVPN: Highly Secure VPN With Tails OS
- Surfshark: Low-Cost VPN For Tails
- IPVanish: Fast Speed VPN Tails
- ExpressVPN: Most Reliable Tails VPN
- CyberGhost: Largest Network VPN On Tails
Using VPN in combination with Tails OS encrypts traffic and ensures that browsing logs are never stored. So sharing files online using Tails with VPN can prevent hackers from tracking your data on home or remote networks.
If you want to know more about which VPN is best for Tails then continue reading below as we have described these VPNs for Tails in depth.
NordVPN: Highly Secure VPN With Tails OS
NordVPN is the best VPN for Tails because of offers the most secure NordLynx protocol for privacy protection. With 256-bit AES encryption, your browsing traffic of Tails browser is hidden from ISP and any third-party data trackers. It also uses IKEv2/IPsec and OpenVPN protocol for safe internet access on Tails.
It is compatible with many other operating systems also including Windows, Android, iOS, and ChromeOS. With single NordVPN subscription, you can log in on 6 different devices and secure them all at the same time. NordVPN is also a great VPN for Discord and other social media application.
NordVPN Features For Tails Users:
- 5400+ servers in 60 countries
- Dedicated IP address
- Private DNS
- VPN Split Tunneling
- 24/7 support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
For using VPN on Tails, you can opt for NordVPN 1 year plan because it offers complete online security at affordable prices. With NordVPN Tails, you hide web traffic from ISP so there is no way of losing your personal data while browsing.
Surfshark: Low-Cost VPN For Tails
Surfshark is a budget-friendly Tails VPN that encrypts the data even after it leaves the last node of Tor network. It has no limit on device connections so you can use Tails with VPN on an unlimited number of devices.
It uses IKEv2, WireGuard and OpenVPN protocols that protect sensitive information when you browse from countries like China or Iran. By using 256-bit GCM encryption, Surfshark VPN with Tails secures documents and files from cyber criminals when shared on the internet.
Surfshark Features For Tails Users:
- 3200+ servers in 100+ global countries
- Ad and malware blocker
- No-log policy
- IP Masking
- DNS leak protection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Surfshark offers 24/7 live support to its customers if you opt for Surfshark 2 year plan. You can also cancel the plan if Surfshark VPN is not compatible with Tails and get a full refund.
IPVanish: Fast Speed VPN Tails
IPVanish is another VPN for Tails that provide ultra-fast connections to speed up your browsing on Tails OS. It uses a wide range of protocols including WireGuard, OpenVPN, IPsec, and IKEv2 to protect personal information from hackers.
Using SOCKS5 proxy of IPVanish can highly enhance your browsing speed on Tor network while keeping your IP address private. One major benefit of using IPVanish as Tails VPN is its unlimited connections support, meaning you can use IPVanish multiple devices & securing data on all Tails devices at once.
IPVanish Features For Tails Users:
- 2200+ servers in 75+ locations
- Large network of 40,000 shared IPs
- No-log policy
- VPN Kill Switch
- DNS leak protection
- 24/7 live support
If you want to use IPVanish VPN on Tails to hide your traffic from ISP or cyber criminals then try IPVanish $39 off deal.
ExpressVPN: Most Reliable Tails VPN
ExpressVPN is one of the most used VPN for Tails because it enhances cyber protection while browsing on random sites. With its 3000+ servers covering 94 countries, you get wide range of options to connect and reroute your Tails browser traffic from server of your choice.
With Lightway protocol used by ExpressVPN, all of browsing data is encrypted with AES 256-bit keys and ChaCha 20 encryption technology. So using this VPN with Tails will protect privacy of your personal information from third-party trackers and malicious spywares.
ExpressVPN Features For Tails Users:
- Changes IP Address
- Works on all devices Android, Windows, iOS, etc.
- Network Lock
- No traffic log stored
- Blocks trackers
- 24/7 customer support
ExpressVPN let Tails users enjoy its VPN services for first 30-days with money refund guarantee. If you purchase its subscription with ExpressVPN 1 month coupon or ExpressVPN 15 months deal, then you can try its services for 30 days without any risk.
CyberGhost: Largest Network VPN On Tails
CyberGhost is another VPN with Tails that offers enormously large network of servers to get privacy from any location in the world. With its secure 7000+ servers in 90+ countries, you get next-level web traffic protection from cyberspies.
Using CyberGhost VPN for Tails provide you with top-notch browsing traffic encryption when you access random sites. This Tails VPN uses OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec, and WireGuard protocols to maintain fine balance between speed and cybersecuirty.
CyberGhost VPN Features For Tails Users:
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Dedicated IP addresses
- Strong no-log storing standard
- Secures up to 7 devices
- Protects IP leakage
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost provides affordable VPN services to Tails users who want online security for few bucks. With CyberGhost 2 year discount deal or CyberGhost 3 year offer, you can get premium online cyber protection for few dollars.
Is It Necessary To Use VPN With Tails?
It is critical to use VPN for Tails to keep your data traffic encrypted after it leaves the Tor network. If you don’t use VPN, the sensitive information won’t be protected after exiting the last Tor node. Then the hackers can easily track your connection and find out your IP address and location.
By using VPN on Tails, your internet traffic stays protected and encrypted even after leaving the private Tor network. Thus, Tails VPN will prevent your personal information from getting leaked to malicious websites and cyber spies while browsing.
How To Setup VPN For Tails Using OpenVPN?
If you don’t know how to install VPN with Tails then execute the following two steps:
1. Configure Tails VPN
- Buy a VPN subscription (NordVPN recommended).
- Go to the official VPN website to get the OpenVPN configuration file.
- Rename the downloaded “.ovpn” file to “vot.ovpn”.
- Activate Persistent Storage on Tails and create a new “VPN” folder there.
- Move the “vot.ovpn” file to that folder in Persistent Storage.
- Open the .ovpn file and delete the configuration between the <ca> & </ca> tag.
- Now save it as a new file as “vot-ca.pem” and move it to the “VPN” folder.
- Download a script that connects the OpenVPN client with Tails.
- Then open the terminal and type: mkdir /home/amnesia/Persistent/bin to create a bin folder.
- Type: gedit /home/amnesia/Persistent/bin/vot.sh to create the “vot.sh” file.
- Now copy the content inside the script and paste it to the “vot.sh” file to save it.
- Then type the command: chmod u+x /home/amnesia/Persistent/bin/vot.sh to make “vot.sh” executable.
2. Activate VPN For Tails
- Launch the terminal and type: sudo ~/Persistent/bin/vot.sh to execute the script.
- Then enter VPN credentials: username and password.
- Type the command sudo -u vpnuser tor-browser –new-instance in the terminal.
- In the Tor browser, click “Preferences-> Advanced.
- Tap “Network”, then “Settings” under “Connection”, choose “No Proxy” and save it.
- Now go address bar in the browser and enter “about:config” and continue.
- Then write “remote_dns” in the search bar and change the value to False.
- VPN is active on Tails now, enjoy privacy beyond the Tor network.
If you don’t want to use Tails with VPN then press Ctrl-C to close the Tor browser instance and script.
Which VPN For Tails Is Best?
The list of Tails VPN shared above including NordVPN, Surfshark, IPVanish, ExpressVPN & CyberGhost is best for getting extra cyber security on Tails OS. It can protect your personal data if you visit any malicious website while browsing.
Among these VPNs for Tails, i would recommend anyone to use NordVPN because it supports OpenVPN protocol which can be configured on Tails easily. It also supports AES 256-bit robust encryption that encrypts browsing traffic even after leaving the Tor network.
Tails NordVPN servers are optimized regularly for a fast browsing experience. So, using this VPN with Tails let you access sites on internet without any delay even on slow Tor network.
Is VPN And Tails Compatible With Each Other?
Tails OS is not compatible with all VPN service providers but Tails work with VPNs that support the OpenVPN protocol. We have mentioned VPN for Tails in this article that can be configured on Tails using the OpenVPN configuration file.
So you can’t use Tails with VPN directly by installing the VPN client via the terminal. You will have to follow the method shared by us and configure VPN on Tails. Then launch the VPN with Tails in the Tor browser and use them together to get the strongest privacy.
Is It Safe To Use Tails VPN?
Yes, using VPN for Tails is completely safe as it only provides additional online VPN security when browsing over Tor network. If you don’t use Tails with VPN, then hackers can track your information at the exit point of Tor network.
That’s why it is much safer to use VPN and Tails together to protect sensitive information from cybercriminals. If you use Straight Talk wireless services to access websites on Tails then using a paid VPN for Straight Talk is necessary. Otherwise your data on Tails OS can be tracked by hackers.
Can You Use A VPN On Tails?
Yes, it is possible to use VPN for Tails by manually configuring the OpenVPN client on the Tor browser of Tails OS via script.
How To Use VPN For Tails OS?
To use VPN with Tails, you have to connect the OpenVPN configuration file with the Tor browser of Tails via script. Then execute the script & launch a new Tor browser instance from the termin.
Tails use Tor network to provide browsing privacy but it can be compromised when data traffic exits Tor node. To maintain online privacy till the traffic reaches its destination site, the use of a VPN for Tails becomes critical.
We have shared a list of working VPN with Tails and recommend using NordVPN on Tails for extra privacy and top-notch data encryption. With its SmartDNS, 256-bit encryption, and no-log policy, you can access internet securely using Tails VPN without any worries about getting hacked.
- Surfshark VPN ChatGPT – Does Surfshark Work With ChatGPT? - March 22, 2023
- Seoul Mafia Surfshark 2023 [83% Off & 12 + 3 Month Free Offer] - March 21, 2023
- Does NordVPN Work In Russia 2023? [Complete Guide] - March 20, 2023