VPN Split tunneling is a feature that offers you to split the internet traffic while you are connected to the VPN. It lets you choose which traffic you want to route through the VPN with an extra layer of encryption and which you send directly over the Internet.
By default, all data in a VPN passes through an encrypted secure tunnel but this is inefficient and slows down the user’s internet connection. Sometimes a user does not need the added security of a VPN and connects directly to websites.
The purpose of split tunneling is to conserve bandwidth. When you connect a VPN and choose a specific task, website, or application through the split tunneling process, you will be able to access it without clogging up your bandwidth.
Here below in this article, we explain the functionality of split tunneling and the types of split tunneling in VPN.
How Does VPN Split Tunneling Work?
Split tunneling is a VPN feature that gives you more control over your privacy and security while browsing the internet. With VPN split tunneling, you can divide your connection into two sections at the same time.
When you activate split tunneling for apps and websites, that portion of the data is encrypted and routed through the VPN server, while the rest of the activity interacts directly with the Internet connection.
This is a VPN feature that you must enable; otherwise, it will operate with the default settings, and all activity data sent and received will be encrypted with VPN protocol and kept hidden and untraceable for everyone, and you consume more bandwidth, causing you to be slow on the internet.
Types Of VPN Split Tunneling
Below are the different modes of split tunneling that are used when you need to split tunneling and you can activate them as per your requirement.
- App-Based Split tunneling
Here in this type of split tunneling process, you need to choose which app traffic through an encrypted tunnel you may use this feature to reach highly sensitive app data or other activity rest internet traffic stay unencrypted and connected to the local services provider connection.
- Inverse Split Tunneling
Inverse split tunneling is the standard process in which your entire internet activity is encrypted, and if you send or receive data while connected to a VPN, the data is rerouted and encrypted from various servers. It is the most secure method of tunneling full activity protection; there is no need to set up an app or a website.
- URL-Based Split Tunneling
Sometimes it may happen that you need your real IP address to access any certain app or website. So here url based split tunneling offers to keep excluded listed URLs from the rest of the whole split tunneling. This feature is usually available on VPN browser extensions.
Benefits Of Using VPNSplit Tunneling
Split tunneling is a really interesting feature in a VPN but you have the option to set up split tunneling on specific apps and websites. Split tunneling has the option of transmitting encrypted data and specific websites entirely through virtual servers to the destination. The Effect of Split Tunneling on Your VPN Performance Here are some of the positive points of using split tunneling.
- Improve Internet Speed As you activate split tunneling on your device, you are not forced to pass traffic through the VPN servers. You improve your connection bandwidth rest for all activity and get a faster loading connection with this possession.
- You Can Access Multiple Networks At Once at the same time. This means when you are on VPN you are connected outside of your local network. You are not required on/off your VPN for different tasks with split tunneling keeping you connected to your VPN.
- Secure And Private Connection you will get with split tunneling. You can access any restricted file document website. While doing this your identity fully hide from any cyber spiders, hackers, and government.
Hazard of Split Tunneling
You will also find the disadvantages of VPN split tunneling below, it also has some disadvantages, such as:
- Split tunneling bypasses the security measures that come with a VPN. In such a situation, some of your activity becomes vulnerable to hackers.
- Setup carefully otherwise there will be a loophole in your privacy and you will be tracked by hackers and your data will be stolen.
- It takes time to set up split tunneling, and you can set it as per the task you are performing with split tunneling. It should be enabled with one click.
How Do I Use VPN Split Tunneling?
Split tunneling is available in many VPNs and is very simple, though it may differ slightly between VPNs. Here we share the steps, according to NordVPN, to enable split tunneling on your Android or desktop devices. You can easily use split tunneling on URLs, apps, and the full website.
- First, open NordVPN, and find its setting cogwheel.
- Now tap on Split Tunneling.
- On the split tunneling by toggling the button.
- Now there is two option
- Inverse split tunneling and app-based tunneling.
- Select your option and select the app on that you want to apply split tunneling.
- Now run NordVPN.
Is VPN Split Tunneling Secure?
Yes, VPN split Tunneling is secure to route your traffic data with a VPN. but you should set the split tunneling in the right method. Usually, you encrypt your full data while using an online activity when you are connected to an open connection network.
But VPNs slow down your connection speed because get consumes more bandwidth channels. Here you use split tunneling you can set the certain URL that you want to download with encryption while your activity is secure on the internet.
Which VPNs Support Split Tunneling?
There are many VPNs available that offer split tunneling, here are some VPNs you can choose a VPN that includes split tunneling features like NordVPN, SurfsharkVPN, and PureVPN.
- Nord VPN Split Tunneling
NordVPN offers split tunneling on its Android and Windows versions. Nord VPN you can enable in a few steps and start sending encrypted data and keep your identity protected.
Nord VPN is one of the fast secure reliable VPNs that offer more than 5500+ servers in 60+ countries. If you are seeking a VPN that includes a feature of split tunneling you can check a NordVPN coupon code for a reasonable price. For more information about NordVPN, you can follow a NordVPN review.
- SurfShark VPN Split Tunneling
On the Surfshark VPN split tunneling feature is known as Whitelisted and is really easy to use. Surfshark split tunneling work on URL biased and inverse split tunneling. It is also available for Android and windows.
Surfshark VPN offers 3200+ servers and 100+ countries and many additional features. You can find our Surfshark review for more details. For low and affordable prices, you can also check the Surfshark coupon code and get it discount price.
- PureVPN Split Tunneling
PureVPN has a simple split tunneling implementation that you can use on Windows or Android. You can find our review of PureVPN and gather in-depth information of it.
If you’re interested in PureVPN, you can check out PureVPN deals and choose the best plan as per your needs.
Overall, VPN split tunneling is a good way to use the VPN filter method. Data traffic where you do not need an encrypted service to avoid it and get a faster connection than if your VPN encrypted all of your traffic.
There split tunneling may be a security concern here, but if you use split tunneling correctly, you won’t have to worry about your privacy or security.
In case your connection fluctuates while setting the splitting URLs, apps, and websites, the kill switch feature will protect your anonymity and keep your Internet traffic safer, even if you do not have a VPN connection.
- Best VPN For Hong Kong 2023 – Top 5 Hong Kong VPN - March 17, 2023
- How To Fix Error In Body Stream Chat GPT 2023? - March 12, 2023
- Best VPN For OmeTV 2023 – 5 OmeTV VPNs - March 12, 2023